Monday, December 15, 2008

look what I made!!!

My sister Alison and I have been wanting to start a home based business for sometime now. We feel that staying home with our kids is very important, but we also wanted a way we could make some money to help with the family funds too. So we started thinking lets do something. With being the mothers of young children we wanted the business to have something to do with kids, so we thought about making things, sewing them. We did a lot of research and came up with a few things we wanted to try to make. Now let me tell you my sister and I have NEVER really sewn a thing in our lives. So we did what any one else would we jumped in with both feet. We bought a sewing machine and the things we needed to start making these projects we wanted to try. Now let me tell you standing in the fabric store holding a pattern for a sewing project that clearly has English still really look like a foreign language when you have no idea what to do. I just have to say I am so glad my sister was there to help. So after getting everything. we opened the box to this great new machine and take it out and we are like what next. Just so you know I did take the owner manual out and read the whole thing. I know kind of know what I am doing.


The two things we wanted to try making was a tote/diaper bag and a cart hugger. We started with the bag. Come on how hard can it really be to make a bag. Well don't be fooled. When you know nothing about sewing it can be very hard. We started to cut out the pattern and I think it took us about maybe two to three hours. And to make the bag about two weeks. The first thing we started was the handles. They were the hardest thing on the bag. You take about three feet of fabric cut it, sew it, fold it, and cut it, sew it fold it in to what you think is going to be a handle just to find out you did something wrong and have to take it all apart. So finally we did accomplish this bag. Sure there are things that aren't perfect on it and we had to take the thing apart and redo it a few times but we got it done.

But I did take a few pictures of the two bags that we have made. This bag is for my sister in law Sabrina. She saw the first bag that we made and had said she really liked it and wanted one. She has been great with the kids and gives them things all the time so we wanted to make her a special gift for the kids to give her. She had told me that she wanted Hot Pink and Lime green. I think we came close to that. This bag we got done is a day and a half. So we are getting a few things figured out.








We do enjoy the time that we do spend on making these gifts, even if we get frustrated.
This next bag is the very first one we made. I use it to take to church with books for Carson and Maya( my niece). It work very well for that. And hold a great deal of stuff.

2 comments:

My Two Army Brats said...

WOW I'm so impressed!! I want one made from ACU material with light blue lining please. I will pay good money. It has to be purse sized though not diaper bag size. Seriously. I'm really impressed! You got SKILLZ!!

Love ya!

Brandy said...

I love them I think you did a GREAT job!! I agree with Michelle I want one nand I will pay good money too! Pink and Brown diaper size will make me very happy.